Sunday, March 11, 2012

The Making of Fit to Kill



  
 


Fit to Kill is a piece that I started in late 2009. It took a year to write with two months of that time used just to write the storyline. Ironically, I'm not an avid reader of novels, but I am an avid movie watcher, and I love a great story. So, when I decided to write Fit to Kill, I concluded that it couldn't be just a story; it had to be a great story.



The Setting

La Flore is a fictitious city of nearly a half million people. The city is also one of the main characters of Fit to Kill. This stems from my favorite true crime series, City Confidential, in which the series gets viewers up close and personal with communities, their residences and their reactions to the forces of a crime story, which as a viewer, I always find intriguing. I added this element, via La Flore, to my novel to get that same intrigue from readers.



The Profound Irony

La Flore is voted one of the nation’s fittest cities, renowned for its personal trainers. So it’s tragically ironic that La Flore’s highest accolade has become cancerous by brutally murdering its citizens, and when he’s not engaged in that obscenity, he’s motivating them through heart pounding workouts in his private training studio. As a personal trainer of twenty years and former owner of a private training studio for seven years, I'm able to pull from my years of experience to immerse the reader into the realm of training. After all, there is a reason the story is titled Fit to Kill.



The Conflict

Fit to Kill is rife with conflict. Of course, the main conflict is between the heroin, Detective Tara Tanner and the Killer, who I can’t reveal, sorry. However, there are conflicts within each of the three main characters. La Flore is a model city facing its first serial killer; Detective Tara Tanner has multiple conflicts that are both professional and personal, and the Killer, well, I can't say or I'll give away a big twist in the story, but all of these conflicts will collide in the end for a spectacular finish.


Twists and Turns
In Fit to Kill, lines are blurred between reality and fantasy, between dream and consciousness. Roles change between predator and prey amongst Tara Tanner and the Killer. Throughout the story, the reader does not know who will survive and who will not. I like stories that challenge the mind and I wanted my novel to do the same.



Temptation

What story wouldn’t do well with some level of temptation? The word alone sounds enticing as well as words associated with it like desire, and lust. Both Tara Tanner and the Killer are plagued by temptation that if succumbed to, would have a profound impact on them. With Tara, it could destroy her marriage, with the Killer, it could destroy him.



Supporting Characters

There are nearly twenty supporting characters in Fit to Kill. I didn't want to make these characters merely empty names. I want readers to connect with Tara Tanner's family and her co-workers, to the murder victims and to the Killer's acquaintances. By doing so, readers get further invested into the story, because there's nothing like a great story.



These are just a few highlights to my novel, Fit to Kill. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it. Go to the bottom of my home page and read the first three chapters, on me. But trust me, it only gets better after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment